There has been an ongoing debate about whether companies should allow their employees to work remotely or insist that they are office-based ever since Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer announced early in 2013 that she was revoking the company's remote working policy.
Although she has declined to comment on the decision the argument reportedly is that the company needs employees to be able to communicate and collaborate quickly by working side by side, but also because ideas often come about via casual conversations between colleagues at the coffee machine or in discussions over a meal break.
There is also a perception that a problem with having employees working remotely from home is that there is a loss of speed and of quality in some of their activities.
From the employee's perspective it is also argued that those who work remotely are often treated as "second tier" compared with those colleagues who are in the office every day. This is a cultural issue, however, with only anecdotal evidence although there are some surveys that have shown that more than half of the bosses asked disapproved of remote working.
The changed nature of the office environment has also had its effects in that large, open-plan office space can make people feel perpetually under scrutiny and anxious. This, too, can be counterproductive to doing a good job. There has been some research that has found that the open plan office makes people feel sick, nervous and unhappy.
Another factor that has contributed to the debate has been the impact that IT and in particular email has had on the nature of work. Although it makes the remote working model much easier to manage it has also been said that the need to attend to a relentless flood of email each day is stifling productivity and creativity. There is also a view that attending to large quantities of email communication has resulted in less actual communication and discussion between colleagues.
It is argued that people working remotely worry about how they are being viewed by colleagues in the workplace and this leads to behaviour such as emailing earlier and more frequently in order to demonstrate that they are working even if they are not in the office.
It also increasingly impinges on leisure and social time in that people increasingly feel obliged to check their email for urgent work related communications.
Among the positive aspects of remote working are that it cuts down on travelling time and also that it allows people to focus and concentrate when they need quiet and few distractions. This can actually improve productivity and efficiency considerably.
Where remote working is possible some companies also benefits from lower overheads because they do not need to pay for and maintain large office buildings.
Perhaps the answer is that while it is obvious that some types of operations require people to be present on site many do not. It is perfectly possible at least some of the time, for a manager or executive to have a PA or secretary who works remotely.
Businesses need to consider which style - or even a combination of both - works best for their activities and crucially they need to think through exactly how it will be managed and what is expected of employees as well as operating a remote working policy fairly so that it is not seen as a privilege for the few.
- In case you missed it over the weekend, we've got great deals on Kindle Paperwhite. Best Buy is the proprietor of both discounts, knocking $50 off all iPad Mini with Retina Display models, and 20 bucks off the Paperwhite.
- If you plan to purchase a pressure cooker for the first time, you'll be faced with a variety of choices when you begin shopping for a pressure cooker. To help with your decision, we've prepared this buyer's guide so you’ll be able to determine what is best pressure cooker your needs.
- Juicer maybe a useful cookware, however, if you want to buy one this time I strong recommend you reading reviews carefully. To do that you can visit this website: Best Juicer Reviews
- If you are planing to by a Hoover vacuum cleaner, you came to right place. We provide you the best Hoover vacuum cleaner reviews and guides to help you choose the good one for your need
- In order to help you choose the best portable ice makers we provide you reliable reviews on some of the best portable ice machines available on the market today.
- A step pedometer watch is a device that will sense your movement and record the number of steps you take. A pedometer watch is essential device for anyone who want to track the number of steps that they are daily taking, this a good device for anyone who want to live healthy
Rhinoplasty is a form of plastic surgery by which a person can get the size and shape of his/her nose enhanced. Though most of the people o...
Copier Plano provides the best servicing needs one requires. They provide new as well rebuilt copier. They can provide solutions for all bus...
Salvage yard is the best place to take the decommissioned or wrecked cars or vehicles. Salvage yards Indianapolis likewise deals with all th...
There has been an ongoing debate about whether companies should allow their employees to work remotely or insist that they are office-based ...
One of the most popular activities to have at any event or party where children are going to attend is face painting. This is a fun way not ...
The culture and entertainment landscape of The Hague got recently richer with a hip new element. A-Maze Escape Events, a local start-up, pre...
A type might perhaps be extra powerful in comparison to some other inside the battle, but a whole great supply more vulnerable to Cheap RS m...
When it comes to condos for rent in Bangkok many would say that you are actually spoilt for choice. Now more than ever Bangkok plays host to...
Gas detectors are used in a lot of homes and industries to spot the presence of harmful gases which could affect the health of human beings....
1 grams of authentic 24K gold in conventional return type such as cafes or silver coins. If you are advertising gold cafes or resources, the...
Powered by Blogger.